I spend a lot of time in Shimla, the base of all our Roof of India Himalayas rides. It’s my second home this time of year.
The only problem with staying here is that monkeys try to get in my room. It’s the Macaques that are constantly trying – the Langurs are way too laid back for that kind of nonsense!
Since I’m in Shimla a lot, I get time to explore this beautiful city. It’s a hill station and walking around it does wonders for your fitness: none of it is flat! Morning time is my favourite time to walk, usually between 5:30 and 7:00am, when the sun is starting to rise. It’s a great way to start the day.
Here are five fun facts about Shimla:
- Shimla is located on seven hills: Observatory, Prospect, Inverarm, Summer, Elysium, Jakhoo and Bantony, the largest being Jakhoo Hill
- The word “Shimla” is derived from the name of the Goddess Shyamala Devi
- Dating back to 1920, Shimla has the only natural ice-skating rink in India
- The Kalka – Shimla Railway is a World Heritage site
- Shimla is home to the oldest post office in Northern India, constructed in 1882
Enjoy these pictures of Shimla in the morning, taken on one of my walks.